Waiting No Longer!

Waiting No Longer!

Monday, June 14, 2010

Sunday, 6/13









We were scheduled to visit Guangzhou Folk Art Museum and Yuexiu Park today with the rest of our Bethany adoption group. However, we only made it to the Museum due to the extreme heat and humidity which zapped most of the parents and babies within the first hour of the outdoor museum. The museum was rich in Chen family history, and we learned some interesting things. However, if I'm being totally honest, I must admit the first highlight of the museum for me was finding a fan, camping out there with Riley, and watching her share her first taste of Hawaiian punch with her Baba. She then entertained other visitors to the museum with her antics. The second highlight for me was seeing my first Chinese cat! If you know me at all, you know I am a huge animal person, especially with my three cats back at home. David and Elizabeth have messed with my mind so much about how they eat cats here in China. This small cat apparently lived at the museum and was not bothered by the people at all. We offered him Cheerios but he was not interested. I wanted to pet him, but David wouldn't let me. Throughout the rest of the day, I saw about four cats; most of them were shop kitties. I did get to pet one (when David wasn't looking), but then washed my hands immediately with a baby wipe.
We got a quick lunch at the deli beside our hotel and were going to take Riley to the pool. However, she was done and needed a nap more than she needed pool time. When she woke up, we met the rest of our group for an authentic Chinese dinner at a great local restaurant. It was delicious! The babies and parents all had a good time! We did a little more shopping, then returned to the hotel where we took Riley to the Swan Room, a very nice playroom for the babies. All the toys are provided by Mattel, plus this company gives all new adoptive parents a Going Home Barbie as an adoption gift. It's a Barbie doll with a little Chinese baby girl doll. Riley and Elizabeth had fun playing; Elizabeth introduced her to her favorite childhood friend, Barney.
We then headed back to our room for an early bedtime. We were all asleep shortly after nine, but then Riley woke up at midnight coughing from her cold. When Riley can't sleep, nobody can sleep! The coughing apparently wakes her up, and then it's like starting all over again trying to get her back to sleep. She just screams, and it was a very difficult night of little-to-no sleep here in China. Fortunately, we have only had two of these bad nights. David just keeps reminding me that it will all be easier once we are back home and in our routine. He was very helpful with Riley and even found a cartoon for her to watch to help make her sleepy again. Elizabeth reminds me that I need to have more patience. It's just hard when you are so exhausted! You would think I would have learned more during my not-so-patient wait for Riley these past four years. I am a work in progress and continue to learn from my two beautiful girls.

1 comment:

  1. Patience will come quickly and won't even be needed as much as you two learn each other. I have had a little experience with coming in on a little one's life after returning from Biloxi. My grandkids really didn't know me and I sure didn't remember how to take care of little ones. It did get much easier and they aren't with me like Riley will be with you. It shouldn't take long at all.

    ReplyDelete