Waiting No Longer!

Waiting No Longer!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tuesday, 6/15








Today Riley turned 23 months old and we got to be with her for this month milestone! I cannot believe my new baby will be two years old in a month. We have seen so many changes in her since Gotcha Day on June 7th. She is beginning to really bond with Elizabeth and David. Her personality and temper are very evident. We may not speak Chinese, but trust me this little Asian person has no problem letting us know her needs and wants. She will now walk beside each of us and hold our hands, while only a few days ago only I could hold her and her feet couldn't touch the floor. She makes us laugh and we make her cry when she doesn't get her way every time. She still loves to eat, but is starting to slow down a bit, and will actually spit out things that she does not like. And yes, we found out a couple of nights ago that she enjoys watching Tinkerbell, especially when she should be sleeping!
The final events of this adoption process occurred today. Before leaving for the U.S. Consulate and swearing-in ceremony, we took the traditional Bethany pictures on the red couch at the White Swan Hotel. I have seen many of these wonderful pictures but never have I experienced it in such a stressful way as I did today! Of course, there was no time for Riley to have a nap today, as we started off the day behind. We slept in til 8:30 due to Riley's hour of playtime in the wee a.m. hours. After our breakfast, we had more last minute shopping to do and then packing. We fed Riley a quick lunch and then got her dressed for her pictures. She was not very agreeable at all, and that is putting it mildly. She was hot and tired, and I can't say that I blame her. She didn't understand the significance of these pictures to the parents. She wanted no part of them at all and screamed her head off the entire time that she was on the couch. Oh yea, she also fell off the couch head first and scared us all to death. Shiyan said that she had never seen that happen in all her experiences with the red couch pictures.
After pictures, we then left for the half hour drive to the Consulate. Upon arriving, each family is called up individually to sign the last of the immigration paperwork in person. Yes, Riley continued to be miserable, hot, and cantankerous during this process. After every family had signed their paperwork, we all raised our right hands and collectively took our oaths stating that we had provided accurate information on our paperwork and that we would be good parents to our adopted children. I thought this would be such an emotional highlight of this journey, but actually with Riley acting up during the oath and hitting my right hand, it was all I could do to repeat the words and hang on to her, much less ponder the meaning of what I was saying. Reluctantly, we decided to stay in and order pizza tonight for dinner in order to preserve what was left of our sanity as we prepare for our 26 hour journey back to the States.
Sadly, today was our last full day in Guangzhou, China. While we are so ready to see our family, friends, and pets and to introduce Riley to the other side of the world, we sense a loss coming as we leave this incredible place. We came to China a family of three and leave forever changed a family of four. We leave here with China in our hearts and hope one day to return to this country, who knows under what circumstances. I cannot believe that 13 days here was not long enough for us. I thought that seemed like forever to be away from home when we left on June 4. I am so thankful for those who have taken care of our home and cats while we have been away. Thank you Mama and Daddy, Patty & Tom Lemarr, Kim Grubbs, and Georgette Norman for keeping the home fires burning for us. I know our cats have been in good hands with my faithful friends who also love felines like me. And also thanks to Antonia LeMay for keeping our blog up and going. We love all of you and so appreciate your love and support, especially the last couple of weeks. We have felt everyone's prayers during this incredible journey to Riley Grace. Please cover us as we begin our travel home in just a few hours. See you Wednesday evening!

1 comment:

  1. Love all the pics! I can't wait to meet Riley when you get home. And if you need someone to watch her while you're recovering from jetlag, I'm right across the street and I stay home with the kids all day. I know how hard it is to try and recover from the travel with a little one.

    ReplyDelete